Onion Ring Recipe
Onion is always listed in almost every recipe. Although the primary purpose of adding onion in cooking is flavor and for thickening in some cases, onions can be the main ingredient of several dishes. Onion ring is one of them, and it is a form of appetizer or side dish that is commonly found in the U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, South Africa and some parts of Asia.
It is called onion ring because it generally consists of a cross section of onion dipped in batter and served with ketchup or mayonnaise. Several onion dishes as well as onion ring are believed as healthy dishes because onions offer some natural benefits for our health. Cannot wait for the onion ring recipe? Check it below.
- 1 large onion (cut into 1 cm slices, rings separated)
- Groundnut oil (for deep frying)
- 150 g self-rising flour
- 180 ml sparkling water
- Steady the large onion by using a fork. Then, slice the onion into rings about 1 cm wide. Remove the skin of it and then separate the rings.
- In a heavy-based pan, heat oil to 180 C.
- Meanwhile, put the sparkling water and the flour in a bowl and season it generously. Whisk together in order to form a batter.
- Coat a small batch of onion rings in the batter. Lower into the hot oil and deep-fry carefully. Cook it until crisp and golden or about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain by placing on a piece of paper towel.
- Repeat the same step with the remaining onion and batter.
- Served warm as a side dish!
This onion ring recipe will lead you to make ideal onion ring. But, if you like strong flavor, you can add more seasoning like Cajun seasoning and others. Happy cooking!